Every great anime is accompanied by an equally and sometimes an even better and harder opening theme song, and thankfully 2021 was neither short of great anime nor fantastic openings.
Beastars is an anime that we love to see thriving. The series is still so criminally underrated despite delivering two splendid seasons. However, the anime’s opening theme song is getting all the love and praise it deserves. Kaibutsu by YOASOBI was not only the winner for Best Opening Theme Song in Crunchyroll’s Anime Awards this year but is also the Top Streamed Anime Opening of 2021 on Spotify with over 120 million streams.
The next three spots are occupied by probably this year’s three most popular anime, with the first opening theme from Tokyo Revengers, Crybaby taking the second position with over 94 million streams.
My War from Attack on Titan is probably the most standout anime opening of 2021 around the world, and rightfully so as the opening does a perfect job of getting you hyped for the insanity that follows, the song takes the third spot among the Top Anime Openings of 2021 with over 84 million streams. It should be noted that while we first heard the song in December 2021 with the first broadcast of the final season. The song was officially released on Spotify in January 2021.
And obviously, Jujutsu Kaisen is also on the list. The second opening theme of the anime titled ‘Vivid Vice’ by Who-ya Extended is currently fourth on the list and has been streamed over 36 million times.
Irokousoi from Horimiya concluded our Top 5 with over 18 million streams.
2.43: Seiin High School Boys Volleyball Team is probably the least popular anime on the list, but you can’t say that the opening theme titled ‘Mahi’ by Yama isn’t an absolute joy to listen to. The song is the sixth most-streamed anime opening for the year with over 17 million streams.
SK8: The Infinity’s opening theme song Paradise by Rude-α is just as groovy and is one of the most visually appealing anime openings of the year. The song is 7th on the list, with over 15 million streams.
The bottom half of the list is occupied by sequel anime titles, with To Your Eternity’s Pink Blood by HIKARU UTADA being the only exception. The song is 14th on the list, with over 7.2 million streams.
Aimer’s Zankyou Zanka for Demon Slayer Season 2: Entertainment District Arc is already on the list. The song has already been streamed over 8.9 million times, taking the 12th spot on the list, and it hasn’t even been a month since it hit Spotify. LiSA’s Akeboshi for the Mugen Train Arc of Demon Slayer Season 2 is 13th on the list, with over 7.9 million streams.
Both of My Hero Academia’s openings this year were criticised by fans for lacking visual appeal, but you can’t deny that the songs themselves were really good. Both of them are among the Top 15 Most-Streamed Anime Openings of 2021. No. 1 by DISH took the eighth spot with over 12 million streams, while Merry-Go-Round by MAN WITH A MISSION was 15th on the list and was streamed over 7 million times since its release this year.
Gotoubun no Katachi by Nakano Sisters from The Quintessential Quintuplets Season 2 was ninth on the list with over 11.8 million streams. Rakuen by Fujifabric from Dr. Stone Season 2 and Identity by Kiro Akiyama from The Promised Neverland Season 2 took the next two spots with over 10.5 million streams and over 9 million streams respectively. You can check out the full list below.
Top 15 Most-Streamed Anime Openings of 2021 on Spotify:
- Kaibutsu (YOASOBI), Beastars Season 2; 120,873,898
- Crybaby (Official HIGE DANdism), Tokyo Revengers; 94,513,029
- My War (Shinsei Kamattechan), Attack on Titan: The Final Season; 84,649,170
- Vivid Vice (Who-ya Extended), Jujutsu Kaisen; 36,133,861
- Irokousui (Yoh Kamiyama), Horimiya; 18,446,568
- Mahi (Yama), 2.43: Seiin High School Boys Volleyball Team; 17,056,671
- Paradise (Rude-α), SK8 the Infinity; 15,601,937
- No. 1 (DISH), My Hero Academia Season 5; 12,729,703
- Gotoubun no Katachi (Nakano Sisters), The Quintessential Quintuplets Season 2; 11,841,087
- Rakuen (Fujifabric), Dr. Stone Season 2; 10,542,384
- Identity (Kiro Akiyama), The Promised Neverland Season 2; 9,016,482
- Zankyou Zanka (Aimer), Demon Slayer Season 2: Entertainment District Arc; 8,925,434
- Akeboshi (LiSA), Demon Slayer Season 2: Mugen Train Arc; 7,977,773
- Pink Blood (HIKARU UTADA), To Your Eternity; 7,229,511
- Merry-Go-Round (MAN WITH A MISSION), My Hero Academia Season 5; 7,051,624.
Follow us on our Instagram for more updates regarding Manga, Anime, and Light Novels.